Tales of an asthmatic and her husband, Derek opines on classic VeggieTales, and yes, Tanya shares her experiences with being in a cult.
Haha, Tanya forgets to turn on her mic. Oh, the hijinks!
They forget that they have a format to uphold and go into things they’ve learned without actually introducing it, by recounting the weeks of sickness that has raged through the family, and specifically Tanya.
Things They Learned
- He should just expect that Tanya gets some kind of horrible lung disease at the change of the seasons.
- Tanya made the most wonderful muffins and the secret recipe was random stuff in the fridge!
- Old-school VeggieTales actually holds up pretty well!
- Speaking at a conference is fun and she’s good at it! Also, confidence is not equal to pride.
- A lot of things that people think cause sickness actually don’t! Sugar, wet hair, being cold, etc.
🎉🎉 FIRST VOICEMAIL 🎉🎉
Jesse calls in asking what Derek and Tanya think about screen time for kids. They make excuses why they can’t answer that question right now. This, after practically begging people to give them questions via voicemail. sigh
If you want to leave a voicemail, do that here at settolearn.com/talk!
The Cult Thing
They FINALLY mosey their way into the thing that everybody clicked on this link to hear. Tanya talks about her experiences in her previous church and lays out the reasons why it’s a cult. If you're here just to hear that, you can go to the timestamp 21:11.
- The leader is the ultimate authority.
- The group suppresses skepticism.
- The group delegitimizes former members.
- The group is paranoid about the outside world.
- The group relies on shame cycles.
- The leader is above the law, and can do no wrong.
If you can, review us on Apple Podcasts or share the show with a friend! It helps get us into the ears of more people!
Feel free to DM us either place if you have questions or want to share your thoughts! We love to hear from you.